Smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency heres what you need to know:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.
- Test your smoke alarms every month.
- When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside.
- Replace all smoke alarms in your home every 10 years
Smoke alarms by the numbers:
- In 2007-2011, smoke alarms sounded in half of the home fires reported to U.S. fire departments.
- Three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
- No smoke alarms were present in more than one-third (37%) of the home fire deaths.
If you need your smoke alarms serviced or replaced The Electric Company can help. Call us at 775-355-7300.